Mod Men

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Canny Crafting

I may be biting off more than I can chew, but starting next week I am going to line up a weekly craft project for a series of posts, aptly titled Canny Crafting. I know, very original. 


Ideally, projects will be introduced on Friday and pictures of the finished product and How To's, posted on Monday. 


Again, from a timing perspective, this could be an awesome thing to attempt, or I could fail miserably. But I figure that I am adding an extra layer of accountability since other people would be reading this...right?


Since my husband reads this from time to time, I will add this disclaimer: Honey, I promise to fix the paint in the bathroom AND kitchen (remnants of two impromptu room makeovers) before passing GO and before collecting $200. Then, and only then, will I move on to aforementioned crafting. Love you!


Like a good DIYer, I have lists of projects somewhere on me at all times. Whether it is a post-it in my car, or notes on my phone, I am always thinking of things I would love to create or replicate. I have had a "hot list" for a while, but when I found the buffet, they were all promptly put on the back burner. 


So, here are the three projects that were next on my to do list:


1) Sunburst mirror - Sunburst mirrors are everywhere and getting them on sale is impossible. Furthermore, the "sale" price still ends up being $60-$80 and that doesn't quite do it for me. I am still not sure what the materials will be just yet, but there are quite a few twigs in our backyard so I may just recycle those. 


2) Faux mercury glass lamp - My grandmother's old lamp has been sitting in my basement collecting dust and could serve as a great test run. I will be using Krylon Looking Glass spray paint to give it the mercury treatment. I bought the last can of it at my local Hobby Lobby and while I haven't used it yet, I'm actually going to go back and buy a few more cans to prepare for the this project and others to use throughout the holiday season.


3) Hot Chocolate jars - A great Christmas gift I have been seeing on Pinterest and on fellow bloggers sites. Coco powder, brown sugar and chocolate chip goodness beautifully layered in jars, slap on a ribbon and dainty holiday tag and voila! The nice part is that with a few additional ingredients, you can make Peppermint and Mexican hot chocolate jars as well. Something for everyone!










Let me know which of these you would like to see me take a stab at first OR feel free to suggest a project that's been on your mind and I will add that to the line up!

Happy Crafting!


2 comments:

  1. Those mirrors are super cool, so that would be interesting to see how you put it together. And I have been thinking about small Christmas presents so anything along those lines would be helpful for us non-crafty people!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an old Stifle brass lamp with very nice lines that I have had in a closet for years and I would love to see what you do for your lamp as I am very interested in the mercury glass ideas and would love to try something.

    ReplyDelete